Due to a system upgrade, our Contact Centre staff are temporarily unable to process payments over the telephone. For other ways to pay, visit our contact page

Contact the council


Under the Licensing Act 2003:

  • A premises licence is required where certain regulated entertainments are going to take place. 
  • Takeaways offering hot food between 11pm and 5am require a premises licence to provide late night refreshment. 
  • A personal licence is required by anyone who wants to allow the sale of alcohol as part of his or her business. 
  • A club premises certificate is required for 'qualifying clubs'. 
  • Temporary Event Notices are available for "short term" events. 
  • Licensees, the Council and other agencies must all work to promote the four Licensing Objectives. 
  • Other persons, businesses or bodies, responsible authorities and the Licensing Authority are all able to call for reviews on premises causing problems. 
  • We are required to produce a Licensing Policy. 
  • We are required to keep a Licensing Register.

From 6 April 2017 applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK in order to hold a personal licence and/or a premises licence (which includes sale of alcohol and/or late night refreshment), from that date proof of the right to work will be required.


Recite Me Button